late Middle English word
- Latin from Greek ‘upper air,’ from the base of aithein ‘burn, shine.’
- Originally the word denoted a substance believed to occupy space beyond the sphere of the moon
In game lore
- It is the source of life for the Fallen Race
- Ether is distributed by the Servitors
- Very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation.