For Ghosts who want to be consulted.
Magic Eight ball
- A toy used for fortune-telling or seeking advice, developed in the 1950s and manufactured by Mattel
- A user asks a question to the large plastic ball, then turns it over to reveal a written answer which appears on the surface of the toy
- It is a hollow plastic sphere resembling a large 8-ball
- Inside, contains a white, plastic icosahedron floating in alcohol dyed dark blue. Upon each of the die’s 20 faces contains an answer to any yes or no question, sometimes noncommittal and then viewed in the round clear window
- It must first be held with the window facing down. After “asking the ball” a yes–no question, the user then turns the ball so that the window faces up, setting in motion the liquid and die inside. When the die floats to the top and one face presses against the window, the raised letters displace the blue liquid to reveal the message as white letters on a blue background.
It has been noted most users shake the ball before turning it upright, however the instructions warn against doing so to avoid white bubbles, which interfere with the how well it works
Blackball aka reds and yellows and English eight-ball, is a pool game originating in the United Kingdom and popular across Europe,
- In the UK and Ireland it is usually called simply “pool”. The game is played with sixteen balls on a small pool table with six pockets
- A slang term for being singled out or “behind the blackball” and “behind the eightball” started as a result of this game. It’s when an obvious sure shot is obstructed by the eight ball and therefore cannot be touched by the cue ball when lining up the shot.
- Means to be (excluded from a group) or alternatively (In a particularly complicated) situation.
The eight ball in pop culture can represent both good and bad luck, it is an appealing tattoo design to emphasize the idea of “chance.” It can be a reference to taking the good with the bad, or of balance.
Eight ball symbolism:
- Bad luck
- Good luck
- Good fortune
- Lady Luck
- Free will
- Magic Eight Ball (fortune-telling toy)